Thursday 26 May 2011

Curried Sausages

I am sure everyone has a curried sausages recipe, its a winter staple in our house, and now that Skye can enjoy it too, I try to cook it at least once a fortnight. I usually make enough to have left overs and put another 2 serves in a container and freeze for when I am struck down with a case if “I don’t wanna cook”. I fill mine out with all kinds of vegies because I like it to have a lot of colour and I try to have a good portion of vegetables in most of our meals for everyone’s benefit. I also use skinless sausages because I really can’t stand biting into a piece of skin when I think its onion, plus its quicker than boiling the sausages and removing the skins.

029 cur saus 3

Ingredients
1 x 500g packet of skinless sausages
1 x large carrot sliced
1 x large onion finely sliced
1 x large zucchini sliced
1 x large potato finely sliced
1/2 cup of frozen peas and corn
1 x Tablespoon of Olive Oil
3 x Tablespoons of Clive’s of India Curry Powder
1 x packet of Continental Dutch Curry and Rice Soup Mix
2 x Tablespoons Tomato Sauce
1 x Dash of Dry Sherry
2.5 cups of Milk
Basmati Rice to serve.

Method
1. Grill sausages until browned all over.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan and cook onion until soft.
3. Add 1 Tablespoon of curry powder and cook until fragrant.
4. Add dash of dry sherry
5. Remove sausages from grill and cut into bite sized pieces, add to saucepan.
6. Add remaining curry powder and stir to infuse sausages with onions.
7. Add vegetables, soup mix, tomato sauce and milk and stir.

024 cur saus 1
8. Bring mixture to boil then cover and reduce to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
9. Serve with basmati rice.

You may find that the potato’s need to be par-cooked in the microwave prior to adding to the saucepan to ensure they are nice and soft when served. I always have more than enough to get another night out of and freeze some for later.

031 cur saus 4

8 comments :

  1. Yum Erin!I totally love when you can get extra meals out of a dish.

    Hey, we have the same laminate bench pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin,

    I made up a big batch of curried sausages last week! I luuuurve them. True comfort food.

    It was my daughters first try of them and they were a success. Of course next time we have them she probably won't touch them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Gemma you are as lucky as me in the kitchen bench department?? Definately a case of "it was like that when I got here!" but it does hide a lot of marks.

    Yes I am a big fan of cooking in bulk for later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lee, yes it is definately comfort food, I love it with cous cous too because it doesn't dilute the flavour like the rice can.

    Yes of course your daughter will refuse it next time, they always know if you have said it out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey we can be sisters if you tell me you have hideous 'gumnut' tiles in your bathroom too!

    I know, the laminate, I just hang my head.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly no, but we did have renovate our bathroom because it was all sorts of non-watertight wrong. Does it help that our whole house was painted a pale lavender and we have yet to re-paint our bedroom after 7 years? Why oh why did we leave that room till last!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another yummy recipe! Looks gorgeous! Thanks for the meal ideas! I must admit I have never cooked curried sausages although I do love them, so it's going on my meal plan!! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank Lisa, I hope you enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete

Come on, gimme some sugar xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...