Monday 23 January 2012

Welcome Back Crock Pot–Frozen Roast Chicken

It seems something in blogger ate this post so I have had to republish – just in case you missed the easiest baked dinner ever, here it is again!

Our slow cooker has been a much loved winter necessity in our house for a number of years for its ease of se and the way it can magically transform cheap, tough cuts of meat into tender, warming comfort food. I just loved turning it on in the morning before work and returning at the end of a long day to a house warmed with the smells of delicious casseroles like mum had snuck into the house and been cooking up a storm all day. As much as I loved the convenience of a crock pot, I was never particularly adventurous with the meals I created in it. My standard crock pot fare was usually some kind of gravy beef casserole such as “lamb” ragout or beef goulash but that all changed a couple of weeks ago when I discovered that you can cook a WHOLE FROZEN CHICKEN in your slow cooker and it turns out just like the rotisserie style chickens you buy from the supermarket! I KNOW! Is that the most exciting thing you have ever heard??? OK, OK, I know this is not new to many of you, but just in case there is anyone else out there who was not privy to this information, I just have to share.

015 chook

As much as I love to cook, baked dinner’s have never really been my forte. I have always felt that there was so much mess and clean up with a roast dinner that it just wasn’t worth the hassle when you are only feeding 2 people. I would also like to point out that this is the kitchen that I have to work with…

The fact that I make anything other than toast in here should be commended!

This is a very novice method of cooking a roast chicken in the slow cooker and if you are more experienced at this I would love you to share your tips and tricks.

Ingredients
1 x 1.5kg frozen Easy Roast Marinated and Stuffed Whole Chicken (Woolworths)

Method

  1. Scrunch 4-5 balls of aluminium foil and place on the base of the slow cooker – this is to keep the chicken out of the juices that will run out during the cooking process so you don’t end up with oily chicken soup.
  2. Cut plastic wrapping off chicken
  3. Remove soaker pad from chicken
  4. Place chicken on foil balls breast side up and cook on low for 10 hours
  5. Serve with roasted vegies, salad, hot chips or whatever your heart desires

021 chook 2

Yes I am aware that my chicken looks like a spitchcock in my gigantic crock pot, I am going to test cooking 2 at once next time so we have lots of leftovers for dinners and lunches.

I have also seen recipes that use potato's wrapped in foil as the base so you get the vegies and meat all in the same pot, but I have yet to test this one out.

The chicken will be fall off the bone tender when it is cooked, in fact the legs fell off as I was lifting the chicken out to serve but it was so moist and tender that I can’t imagine cooking a whole chicken any other way!

022-chook-1_thumb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...