Friday 11 November 2011

10 Things I Forgot I Hated About Summer

Summer is my favourite season, why wouldn’t it be? The sun shines, the days are long, the beautiful scent of jasmine lingers in the air and somehow, beer just tastes so much better on a hot day. But no sooner does the weather start to heat up and I suddenly remember that there are a few things about summer that I am less than crazy about.

  1. Mosquito’s – seriously, what is the purpose of mosquito’s other than to torture me with their incessant high-pitched buzz as I try to go to sleep?
  2. Sun Burn – this pale face can slip slop slap all she likes, my skin still burns. More often than not, I end up with some particularly special tan lines that cannot be hidden by any other item of clothing, then I peel, most unattractive.
  3. Shorter Nap-time’s – the air con doesn’t really reach into Skye’s room and it can get quite hot in there in the afternoon which means she is less likely to snuggle down for a decent sleep. The ceiling fan helps but after an hour it’s only pushing around the hot air and she wakes up crankier than before she went to sleep.
    424
  4. Cricket – I can only just tolerate a 2 hour telecast of the NRL through winter, being subjected to hours and hours of cricket on the days when it is too hot to be outside is enough to make me consider moving to Antarctica.
  5. Fleas – Bundy gets pretty regular flea treatments right throughout the year but right now he is outside scratching himself under a chair. I just paused writing this post to bathe him at 10 o’clock at night because he is so uncomfortable with them.
  6. Bushfires -  there have been some truly horrific bushfires in Australia over the last few years. I have the utmost respect for those who fight these overwhelming blazes, it would have to be one of the most difficult occupations someone could have.
  7. Holiday TV programming – because as soon as rating’s season finishes, its non-stop reruns of all the crap I didn’t want to watch the first 30 times – Brady Bundy anyone? image credit 
    carol brady
  8. The smell of onions on a BBQ – actually I love barbeques, I just hate it when I can smell someone else’s, and I’m not invited.
  9. Shaving – I pretty much live in shorts and singlets throughout summer which means that I have to shave more than once a fortnight. Annoying!
  10. The Loss of Serenity – we live in a quiet area but it can be really crowded during summer. On any normal day, the waterways look like this, but come holiday season, this is filled with boats and jet skiers and you struggle to find a space to drop anchor. Fortunately we do get to enjoy the scenery in peace for most of the year.
    13012009(007)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...