Saturday 6 August 2011

I’m Grateful For… Thoughtful Neighbours and Random Acts of Kindness

I have to say we really lucked out when our new neighbours moved in next door. Our previous neighbours were lovely too, but we mostly kept to ourselves apart from the occasional nod and wave over the fence. Our new neighbours aren’t really that new, they have lived there for almost 2 years now, but they have been so easy to live with its hard to believe it’s been that long.

As they are retired and are home most days (when they are not travelling around in their massive campervan), when Luke and I both worked full time and were rarely home they would always keep an eye on our place to make sure that Bundy (the dog) had not escaped, or felt too neglected while we were out. If any council work or blackouts had happened during the day they would always make a point to pop over and let us know. We collect each others mail if either of us is away and I know that if I ever needed anything while Luke is working away that I would only have to ask. Things that I imagine were probably standard neighbourly behaviour at some point, but that doesn’t happen so much any more.

The reason that they have been particularly wonderful neighbours this week was all because of a random act of thoughtfulness.

Luke is not well at the moment, and not in a man-flu kind of way, he actually has bronchitis and is uncharacteristically quiet and still. He had taken Monday off to go to the doctors and as such, it didn’t feel like Monday night (bin night) so we went to bed without it even crossing our mind to put them out. Since Luke has to get up early to be on-site and I was still well comatose when he left, we still hadn’t thought of the bins until I heard the truck coming down the street. Just as I was about the drag myself jump out of bed I heard our front gate squeak followed by the roll of the wheelie bin being dragged over the gravel. My beautiful, sweet neighbour had got up to take his out and upon seeing ours was not out, made sure that we did not have to wait another week before disposing of our overflowing, nappy filled bin.

I made sure to thank him when I saw him later that afternoon, that simple gesture had put me in a positive and happy frame of mind that had continued all day. It reminded me that you don’t have to put yourself out in any major way to bring a smile to someone’s face. Something as simple as looking beyond your own horizon to make life just that bit easier for someone else is a habit I hope to put into practice more regularly. I am sure that Mr Neighbour did not anticipate that dragging my bins 5 metres across my front yard would make my day, but as a mum who spends most of her waking hours thinking of other’s needs, it really was something I felt grateful for.

Be sure to visit Maxabella Loves Grateful Saturday’s for some other wonderful positive messages. It will be sure to put a smile on your face. Have a great weekend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...